•Eat lots of lean meats, fresh fruits, and vegetables•
The Paleo diet is all about eating foods that have not been processed. It’s about feeding your body with the foods that would have been available to people of the Paleolithic era. This means eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, and healthy fat sources like olive oil and avocados. Donuts, pizza, potato chips, candy bars, McDonald’s, all of these things, which lead to obesity and heart attacks, were not available back in the Paleo times.
The ground rules are as follows:
The seven keys of the Paleo diet according to Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
- All the lean meats, fish, and seafood you can eat
- All the fruits and vegetables you can eat
- No cereals or grains
- No legumes
- No dairy products
- No processed foods
The seven keys optimize health, minimize the risk of chronic disease, and cause excess weight to melt away. This is the way we’re genetically programmed to eat. .
- Eat a relatively high amount of animal protein compared to that in the typical American diet.
- Eat fewer carbohydrates than most modern diets recommend, but eat lots of good carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables, not from grains or refined sugars.
- Eat a large amount of fiber from nonstarchy fruits and vegetables.
- Eat a moderate amount of fat, with more good (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) fats than bad (saturated) fats, and nearly equal amounts of omega 3 and omega 6 fats.
- Eat foods with a high potassium content and low sodium content.
- Eat a diet with a net alkaline load.
- Eat foods rich in plant phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Paleo Web Siteswww.paleodiet.com
This site is loaded with information from people who endorse Paleo, ranging from doctors to athletes, to the average person.www.earth360.com
This site contains scientific information from Dr. Ben Balzer on hunter/gatherer diets. Plus links to interesting books etc…www.paleobrands.com
Good recipe ideas and interesting articles.